星座
双鱼座
性别

最佳新人 活跃会员 热心会员 宣传达人 灌水之王 突出贡献 优秀版主 论坛元老

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-5-22 15:06:52 |只看该作者 |倒序浏览
If I Rest, I Rust

The significant inscription found on an old key---“If I rest, I rust”---would be an excellent motto for those who are afflicted with the slightest bit of idleness. Even the most industrious person might adopt it with advantage to serve as a reminder that, if one allows his faculties to rest, like the iron in the unused key, they will soon show signs of rust and, ultimately, cannot do the work required of them.

Those who would attain the heights reached and kept by great men must keep their faculties polished by constant use, so that they may unlock the doors of knowledge, the gate that guard the entrances to the professions, to science, art, literature, agriculture---every department of human endeavor.

Industry keeps bright the key that opens the treasury of achievement. If Hugh Miller, after toiling all day in a quarry, had devoted his evenings to rest and recreation, he would never have become a famous geologist. The celebrated mathematician, Edmund Stone, would never have published a mathematical dictionary, never have found the key to science of mathematics, if he had given his spare moments to idleness, had the little Scotch lad, Ferguson, allowed the busy brain to go to sleep while he tended sheep on the hillside instead of calculating the position of the stars by a string of beads, he would never have become a famous astronomer.

Labor vanquishes all---not inconstant, spasmodic, or ill-directed labor; but faithful, unremitting, daily effort toward a well-directed purpose. Just as truly as eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, so is eternal industry the price of noble and enduring success.

分享到: QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
分享淘帖0 收藏收藏0 评分评分

主题

好友

积分

中级会员

生肖
星座
摩羯座
性别

最佳新人 活跃会员 灌水之王 论坛元老

沙发
发表于 2012-7-31 03:33:28 |只看该作者
很好的诠释
回复

使用道具 评分 举报

主题

好友

积分

禁止发言

性别
保密
板凳
发表于 2012-10-15 18:42:28 |只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复

使用道具 评分 举报

主题

好友

积分

版主

生肖
星座
双鱼座
性别

最佳新人 活跃会员 热心会员 宣传达人 灌水之王 突出贡献 优秀版主 论坛元老

地板
发表于 2012-10-15 18:53:12 |只看该作者
不用  不用用您啦 我不老啊O(∩_∩)O~
回复

使用道具 评分 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

手机版|SKY外语计算机学习 ( 粤ICP备12031577 )    

GMT+8, 2024-4-23 19:14 , Processed in 0.118962 second(s), 26 queries .

回顶部