星座
双鱼座
性别

最佳新人 活跃会员 热心会员 宣传达人 灌水之王 突出贡献 优秀版主 论坛元老

发表于 2013-5-17 12:39:59 |显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 叶凝云 于 2013-6-14 14:24 编辑

BBC Learning English 6 Minute English 16May 2013 Sleeping for learning
6 Minute English ©bbclearningenglish.com 2013 Page 1 of 5
Rob: Hello,I’m Rob and this is 6 Minute English and I’m joined this week by Finn. HelloFinn.
Finn: Hello Rob.
Rob: This week, we’re discussing sleep. New research hasshown that not getting enough sleep – or sleep deprivation – can have anegative effect on our ability to learn. We’re going to talk about that todayand explore some sleep-related language.
Finn: So Rob, are you saying the more sleep I get, thecleverer I will be?
Rob: Not exactly - but we could put that to the test nowby seeing if you know the answer to this week’s question. This is about RandyGardner, who holds the world record for the longest period of time withoutsleep. Do you know how long he stayed awake for? Was it:
a) 5 days
b) 8 days
c) 11 days
Finn: Rob, I’m going to go for the ambitious c) 11 dayswithout sleep.
Rob: Well, I’ll let you know the answer at the end of theprogramme, if you can stay awake that long! Now, let’s talk more about thislink between sleep and the ability to learn. Researchers from Boston College inthe USA have found the lack of sleep is a significant – so important – factorin lowering the achievement of school pupils. The findings could be relevant toany of us who are trying to learn something.
Finn: That’s true. The most interesting fact is that it ismore of a problem in affluent countries – so wealthier countries such as theUnited States, England, France and Saudi Arabia.
Rob: Students here are more affected by influences fromtheir home life. 6 Minute English © bbclearningenglish.com2013 Page 2 of 5
Finn: You’retalking about computers and TVs in their bedrooms and using smartphones?
Rob: Yes, they’re tempted by all this technology insteadof just getting their heads down and having a good night’s sleep. Thesurvey found 80% of 13 and 14-year-olds in the US were identified by theirteachers as being affected by lack of sleep. The international average was 57%.
Finn: Let’s hear from William Myers who is the Principal atSouth River High School in the United States. He says this is a challenge forteachers. What other word does he use to mean ‘lacking in energy’?
William Myers, Principal atSouth River High School:
If we didn’t make our classesmore engaging, we would see a decline in our performance. We would see thatschool-wide, and in many of our classes, we would see students who werelethargic, sleepy, maybe heads down at the end of the day. So we have to put alot of work into keeping them alert and keeping them excited about school.
Rob: That’s quite a challenge then! He says classes haveto be engaging, so interesting and exciting, to stop students getting sleepyand lacking in energy – the word he used was lethargic.
Finn: Yes, this research looked at the link between theamount students sleep and their test results. Not surprisingly it foundchildren with more sleep achieve higher test results in maths, science and reading.There is a lesson there for all of us – I think I’ll just shut my eyes, Rob,and have 40 winks.
Rob: You mean a short, light sleep? Can you wait until theend of the programme please? Scientists believe the lack of sleep causes yourbrain to run on empty. It struggles to absorb and retain ideas.
Finn: Actually, scientists say that there are more seriousproblems with students staying up late before they hit the sack - or gotto bed – as we can hear from the BBC’s Jane O’Brien. Can you identify what theyare?
Jane O’Brien, BBC reporter:
Here at the Children’s NationalMedical Centre, doctors are seeing more and more sleep-deprived kids, and it’snot just affecting their school work. It’s linked to obesity, mood swings andbehaviour problems. In fact it’s putting their long-term health at risk. 6 Minute English © bbclearningenglish.com 2013 Page 3 of 5
Finn: So, the lackof sleep can also lead to health problems such as obesity – that’s when someoneis dangerously overweight – and to mood swings – that’s changes in howsomeone feels or behaves. So, what is the solution to all of this?
Rob: Well the school day in some countries start later,allowing teenagers a bit of a lie in. And others have a break in the afternoon– like a siesta. But the real solution is for students to turn in –or go to bed – earlier.
Finn: This research has also highlighted another problem.Because teachers are simplifying their lessons to take account of the tetchy– or grumpy – students, there’s concern that pupils who are getting enoughsleep are losing out in these adjusted lessons. So everyone suffers. OK, wellbefore I go for a lie down please could you let me know the answer to today’squestion, Rob?
Rob: Of course. Earlier I asked you about Randy Gardner,who holds the world record for the longest period of time without sleep. Iasked you if you knew how long he stayed awake for?
Finn: And I said c) 11 days, 11 long days.
Rob: And you were right. He stayed awake for thatincredible 11 days back in 1965. Randy was actually functioning quite well atthe end of his research and he could still beat the scientist at pinball. Well,it’s almost time to go but before we do, Finn could you remind us of some ofthe words we've heard today.
Finn: Yes. We heard:
sleep deprivation
getting their heads down
lethargic
forty winks
to run on empty
hit the sack
mood swings
a siesta 6 Minute English © bbclearningenglish.com 2013 Page 4 of 5
to turn in
tetchy
Rob: Well, that’s all we have time for today. Time for adoze Finn!
Both: I think so. Bye. 6 Minute English © bbclearningenglish.com 2013 Page 5 of 5

Vocabulary and  definitions sleep deprivation

not getting enough sleep

getting their heads down

going to sleep

lethargic

lacking in energy

forty winks

a brief and light sleep

to run on empty

to continue working when you have no energy or  enthusiasm

hit the sack

go to bed

mood swings

regular changes in how you feel or behave

a siesta

a short sleep after lunch (particularly in hot  countries)

to turn in

to go to bed

tetchy

grumpy, unhappy

主题

好友

积分

超级版主

自我介绍
新年第一天据说有雨,全民齐赏日出的计划恐要泡汤。”宋仁宗拍着包拯的肩,“朕决定把你悬挂在城门上。”“但微臣额上的不是太阳是月亮啊!”“没事,挂久一点就会升级成太阳
生肖
星座
狮子座
性别

最佳新人 活跃会员 热心会员 推广达人 宣传达人 灌水之王 突出贡献 优秀版主 论坛元老

发表于 2013-5-18 11:47:36 |显示全部楼层
好贴必须顶
回复

使用道具 评分 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

手机版|SKY外语计算机学习 ( 粤ICP备12031577 )    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:54 , Processed in 0.181777 second(s), 27 queries .

回顶部